Problems with termites? When these insects attack the structure of your home, the place where you work, or anywhere else, the solution is to call Truly Nolen for a complete and effective termite disinfestation.
Besides wood, termites also destroy paper, masonry, furniture, textiles, and cellulose-based materials. They can be found in wooden structures such as beams, old furniture, moldings, behind walls, and under floors. Termites are one of the most destructive animals around, acting quietly and almost unseen until it is too late.
>Termite disinfestation? It's time to call Truly Nolen!
If you suspect any termite infestation, don't hesitate and contact us without delay.
How to identify a termite
Around 2,800 species of termite (Order Isoptera) are known worldwide.
In Portugal, the most common is the Reticulitermes lucifugus, commonly called the white ant, a subterranean termite that, as the name indicates, forms subterranean colonies and likes damp wood.Kalotermes flavicollis, on the other hand, prefers dry wood and nests there. Cryptotermes brevis, a species registered in the Autonomous Regions of the Azores and Madeira, also consumes dry wood.
Termites are social insects that live in colonies and cooperate together to protect their eggs and multiply.
This social organization is divided into castes: the majority are workers (white or translucent termites with antennae), followed by soldiers (brown and with pincers near the head) and reproductive termites (kings and queens). Some castes may have wings.
How do termites live?
Subterranean termites hide beneath the ground. They live in nests that they build inside wood and move through tunnels. They are active all year round, but may only be detected after months or even years of activity. They feed on cellulose present in wood and other moist materials. They eat slowly but efficiently, destroying all the wood on which they feed.
In these cases, they enter houses and other buildings through small cracks and holes in the foundations or in contact with the ground. Expert termite disinfestation intervention is needed to stop them destroying buildings.
How to detect termite activity
Watch for the following signs to know when you need the expert services of a termite disinfestation company.
- Discolored or slanted walls, with small holes.
- Paint peeling, as if it has water damage.
- Wood sounds hollow when tapped.
- Wood boards or flooring make a squeaky noise when you step on them.
- Loose tiles.
- Wood damaged or giving way.
- Jammed windows or doors.
- Small tunnels in furniture, floors or walls.
- Droppings resembling small mounds of salt or pepper.
- Fallen insect wings
- Mud tubes in the foundation of the house.
A termite disinfestation conducted by Truly Nolen begins by correctly identifying the species and defining the treatment to be adopted.
The most used techniques are the use of injectors on the walls and the application of the product by spraying the wood.
It may be necessary to remove the most affected pieces of wood, replacing them with pieces of metal, concrete, or other material that the termites cannot destroy.
See our tips for preventing a termite reinfestation.
- Leave a stone barrier between the ground and the foundation of the house.
- Remove pieces of wood damaged by termites.
- Ensure proper ventilation of spaces.
- Correct leaks and cracks in pipes, plumbing, walls, etc.
- Regularly check the condition of wooden elements in the house, including doors, furniture, etc.
- Clean gutters and prevent humidity concentrations.
- Install dehumidifiers in the dampest areas of the house.
Does your home need a termite disinfestation? Contact us!
Learn more about all of our disinfestation services.